Minutes – June 8th, 2021


June 8, 2021 – 7:00 a.m.


Present: Jason Knox, Jamie Hoey, Tiffany Johansen, Garrett Crandall, Chris DeBack, Tracy Johnson (phone partial), Rick Trumm, Mallory Hanson, Matt Marsala

Absent: Kennon Gumm



  1. Organization/Operations (Recurring)
    1. The meeting was called to order at 7 a.m. by Jason Knox.
    2. Jamie motioned to approve the agenda; Tiffany seconded it; approved by all.
    3. Tiffany motioned to approve May minutes; Jason seconded it; approved by all.
    4. Financials- discussion was had. Tiffany presented a summary of accounts. Tiffany noted a few entries to make note of- Iowa Alcoholic Beverage Division was paid; however, it was just a one-time event for insurance and Tiffany applied for the entire year and will update us when it is done. We will review financials in detail at the next meeting.
  2. Board Topics (Recurring)
    1. Long-Term Calendar- the Chamber needs to create a long-term calendar in which the Director manages, and the board can update. Mallory has a Fayette County calendar so ensure we connect with her.
    2. West Union Brochure- UIU has agreed to print the brochure but need the original files. Mallory will send to Jason. UIU will add the Main Street logo and revamp the layout for more economical cost savings. Jason will send for approval before printing.
    3. Vacant Apartment- the apartment will be vacant on 6/12. Chris has a person interested. Jamie will get a rental application to Tiffany to get it to the interested party.
    4. Golf Tournament- Rick has some concerns on the WU course. Community people do not want to golf in West Union due to the condition of the golf course. City is now focusing on the greens. Clermont one is already scheduled- July 17. Should we do Big Rock- committee will check. Just have one? Glow ball in WU? Can’t make money and need to focus on fun? Chamber can do a team building even there. Garrett motioned to cancel August tournament in WU; Jason second; all approved.
    5. SummerFest- great turn-out event with the hot day. People turned out for the parade. Not as big of a night crowd and the beer/seating was not appropriate for the Chamber’s benefit. Light, signage, drop cords from lights, specific placement of events, signage, pricing strategy, beer garden with tent and seating were all ideas to build on. Can build on 5K. Need more porta-potties and lock the Chamber building. For a first-year event, it went well. Many ideas were shared for next year. White Barns is going to fairgrounds; keep our event to the first weekend of June; maybe a vendor show as well? Having it on the same day as a large event is good; but could also keep some festival-goers away. Promotions committee will look at the date for next year. Need an event map for next year. Provide ‘premier access to events’ for downtown businesses during events. All Stop is used as an alcohol bridge at cost to allow for storage/cooling of beverages. Need to have a process for a clean-up crew to ensure proper cleanup as there was the power outlet left, volunteers not sure where to put things, etc. We need to ensure to complete the Project Budget Sheet for all events. As Chris is having surgery, Tiffany will schedule a debrief of the event for next year.
    6. Fireworks- community is wondering if the Chamber will be having a fireworks. As we aren’t having 4th of July, we weren’t planning to have fireworks. We spend over $4000 on fireworks and not having a great turn-out. Mallory only has heard of Clermont having fireworks.
  1. Membership/Investment Drive (Recurring)
    1. Investments/Contributions/Donations- Jason’s internships are working on getting the membership letters done and businesses updated and into Redtail.
  2. Director Report (Recurring)
    1. New Director- Matt Marsala, council approved him last night. WELCOME!
    2. New Email Address- WU Director email is problematic and getting tons of spam. Jason proposes we come up with an email address and for a minimal investment, utilize a spam blocker. Jason will set it up. matt@westunion.com
    3. Phone Preference- Matt will try the Chamber phone and ensure it is working properly.
    4. Device Preference- will utilize a laptop. A Surface would be beneficial for business visits. Tiffany motioned to purchase the Surface for $1000; Rick seconded it; approved by all. Jason will get it ordered.
    5. Shared Platform- would love to have a shared platform that everyone can share. Matt will look into it once settles.
    6. Training Team & Schedule- Tracy has started scheduling some trainings for Matt; however, the Board hasn’t been put into the schedule due to the quick hiring. We need to create a schedule for orientation. Matt would like Redtail first to allow him to schedule the other trainings. Jason will schedule training right away and there are tons of webinars to watch as well Then, the rest of the Board will schedule training.
    7. Management Team- see above.
    8. Website Updates- Matt looked at website. He saw a lot of broken links, new photos, etc. He has website training scheduled. Would love to update the Board photos online.
    9. Meet the Director Event- July 8th is Meet the Director Event at Playing on the Plaza. 6-7:30 is the time of Playing on the Plaza.
  3. Main Street (Recurring)
    1. Accreditation- none
    2. Action- none
    3. Reporting- Jason doing. Reminder to send volunteer hours to Jason.
  4. Committee Reports- need to determine budgets for various events. SEND VOLUNTEER HOURS FOR THE PREVIOUS MONTH. Tiffany will send out the action sheet. Each event MUST have a project action sheet, complete with clean-up strategy & finance sheet.
    1. Promotions (Chris DeBack)- will use the left-over beer for Playing on the Plaza. Jamie will get a large insulated cooler. Amie is covering for Chris during his surgery.
    2. Design & Business (Jamie Hoey)- meeting later this month. Jamie and Jayde met to discuss window displays and scavenger hunt during Halloween. Jamie will write up an action plan for historical aspect of SummerFest.
    3. Economic Vitality (Jason Knox)- no meeting this month
    4. Organization (Garrett Crandall/Rick Trumm)- working on golf tournaments.
    5. Ad-Hoc Sparks (Tiffany, Chris, Tracy, Mallory)- done for the year. Disband the committee.
    6. Ad-Hoc DLO (Rick, Kennon)- building for sale without the shed at this time. Need to ensure the building could be ADA compliant.
    7. Management (Tiffany, Tracy)- explained the City Agreement and evolution to being a city employee. Discussion was had on the Chamber/City management contract as there are a few versions that have been approved. Tracy will provide the Board with the latest contract to review.
    8. Fayette County Economic Development – would love to setup a meeting with Matt to discuss history and partnership opportunities.
    9. City- nothing.
  5. For good of order- nothing.


Rick motioned to adjourn; Tiffany seconded it; all approved.

Next meeting: June 22 @ 7 a.m. at the Chamber

Submitted by Jamie Hoey, Secretary


Investing in the community by bringing people together to achieve a support system that seeks to promote business success, downtown revitalization, and a sense of community pride.

Through Community engagement, create a unique and prosperous downtown to enrich the entire business community of West Union and beyond that embraces history, preserves natural environment, and promotes quality events that instills a sense of community pride.