Minutes – December 8th, 2020


December 8, 2020 – 7:00 a.m.


Present: Jason Knox, Jamie Hoey, Tiffany Johansen, Rick Trumm, Tracy Johnson, Garrett Crandall (left early), Mallory Hanson (phone), Chris DeBack (phone- left early)


Absent: Kennon Gumm


  1. Organization/Operations (Recurring)
    1. Meeting was called to order at 7:05 a.m. by President Jason Knox.
    2. An addition to the agenda regarding board reappointment was added. December’s adopted agenda was motioned to approve by Jamie; seconded by Chris; approved by all.
    3. November’s meeting minutes were reviewed and motioned to approve by Tiffany; seconded by Garrett; approved by all.
    4. November’s finances were reviewed, and discussion was held. A Custom Summary Report has been created to give an updated monthly spreadsheet to review each month. Tiffany will ensure that rental deposits will be in the month in which they occur. Playing on the Plaza bills have been filtering in. November shows a deficit, but rental deposits went in October. We are losing money overall. The city hasn’t been paid yet. Tiffany will transfer money from Savings to cover the city payment. Jamie will scan financials and will send via email with minutes. Tiffany’s next project will be script money but she is having issues finding the script money spreadsheet, but she will look in the file cabinet. She has redone the script money numbering to start with a new format 2021-001 and then use the year of issue- motion by Jason, seconded by Rick, approved by all to use the new process. Different increments are available- $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100. We aren’t sure what businesses accept Chamber Bucks. We need to market it better utilizing a flyer and visiting a business. The Board will go to businesses to market it on Friday, December 11. Jason/Garrett; Tiffany/Rick; Tracy/Jamie will all partner. Jason will have a flyer for usage and Tiffany will have Chamber Bucks ready for sharing during the visits. We will refer to it as Chamber Bucks and not script money. Tiffany will change the verbiage to “participating business” and put instructions for the retailer on the back of the Chamber Bucks. In addition, Tiffany will reach out to the newspaper to write a story. Garrett will get Tiffany the businesses he has. Tiffany will create the list and create a Google Doc with business and contact list. Let Mallory know the new process as she sells Chamber Bucks a great deal as well within the office. Take to D&B to get input.  Jamie motioned to approve the finances; Chris seconded; all approved.
    5. Operations in lei of Director: city covering phone but needs to take to US Cellular as there are some issues. Facebook posts are going well by Tracy. Jamie and Tracy answering FB questions.
    6. Meeting day/time: stay the same with phone calls in. Jason motioned to have the 2nd Tuesday Board Meeting & 4th Tuesday Work Session; Rick seconded it; all approved.
    7. Election of Officers 2020: Jason Knox, President; Tiffany Johansen, Vice President; Chris DeBack, Treasurer; Jamie Hoey, Secretary. Jamie motioned to approve the slate of officers; Rick seconded; all approved.
    8. Renew Chris for another three-year term was motioned by Jamie; seconded by Rick; approved by all.
  2. Board Topics (Recurring)
    1. Strategic Planning & Budget Meeting Update: the meeting was held on Sunday, November 29. Tracy, Tiffany, Jason, Chris and Jamie were in attendance. Jason worked on the 2021 proposed budget; Tiffany was doing current budget; Jamie was working on 2020 Plan of Action and 2021 Strategic Plan.
    2. Jason motioned to approve June 5th as the proposed event date for a new summer event sponsored by Chamber/Main Street and cancel 4th of Jul event. Rick seconded it; approved by all.
    3. All committees need to include the entire Board on committee meeting details and minutes. This will change when a Director is hired.
    4. Committee Expense Reporting: budget must account for each committee’s expenses. Tiffany will create a financial spreadsheet for each committee to add with the Action Plan.
  3. Membership/Investment Drive (Recurring)
    1. Investments/Contributions/Donations- Jason will have a person write up the letter to get it started and discuss at next meeting. Discuss at the next meeting.
    2. Board Contributions- each member should be an individual member as well. $60. Let’s do this in 2021 for the entire Board. Each board member challenged to bring a new business.
    3. Chamber Benefits- discuss next week.
  4. Director Report
    1. Update from Director Hiring Committee: Tracy shared we have 1 resume and 3 other individuals interested. Tracy reached out to the other individuals who had been interested previously and heard back from one who has already found another position. All members share the Facebook job posting.
  5. Main Street Accreditation (Recurring)
    1. Accreditation- Jamie worked on the Accreditation and has it all completed except 2019 finances, 2020 finances, current balance sheet, and 2021 proposed budget, which she is waiting on Tiffany and Jason to finalize. Jamie motioned to approve the 2020 MSI Accreditation with financial additions; Jason seconded it; approved by all. Jamie will submit once she receives the finances.
    2. Actions Needed- Jamie will continue to oversee this until a Director is hired and then will work directly with him/her on transition. Jason took over the monthly reports. Please submit volunteer hours to Jason.
  6. Committee Reports- send minutes, action plans, meeting information, etc. to the Board and Director. Need to vote as a Board using the committee’s motion.
    1. Promotions (Chris DeBack)- met last week. June 5th Summer Event moving forward. Big day planned – events, parade, events, music, softball, food, etc. Community Awards nominations reviewed and will announce in January but have them celebrated during the summer event. Ongoing discussion about the naming of the event. We will not do 4th of July this year. What will happen with the fireworks account? Maybe do fireworks during the summer event?
    2. Design & Business (Jamie Hoey)- they are not meeting in December, but Jamie has all Action Plans up-to-date to start 2021. They are on a Google Drive so each committee member can update. Need to figure out education for businesses.
    3. Economic Vitality (Jason Knox)- didn’t meet in December. Will resume in January. Will spearhead Chamber After 5.
    4. Organization (Garrett Crandall/Rick Trumm)- met in November. Dates have been set for SXS in spring and fall. Create a Facebook page for the event ASAP. Get to Tracy to create an event.
    5. Ad-Hoc Building Committee (Jason, Garrett, Kennon)- nothing to report
    6. Ad-Hoc Sparks (Jamie, Tiffany, Chris)- discuss at next meeting
    7. Ad-Hoc DLO (Rick, Kennon)- nothing to report
    8. Management (Tiffany, Tracy)- looking for director
    9. Fayette County Economic Development – closing out the year with annual reports. Will send quarterly reports to the Board. Mallory provides social media trainings for vendors. She would be willing to offer a Facebook training at the beginning of the year. Tiffany will work on this with her.
    10. City- will be addressing the downtown building. Trying to get Chamber block sidewalks cleaned up. Shop with a Cop program went well and coming up. Budget meetings.
  7. For good of order


Motion by Rick to adjourn at 8:20 a.m.; Tiffany seconded it; adjourned.

Next meeting – December 22, 2020 at 7:00 am at the Chamber/Main Street office.

Submitted by Jamie Hoey, Secretary

Investing in the community by bringing people together to achieve a support system that seeks to promote business success, downtown revitalization, and a sense of community pride.

Through Community engagement, create a unique and prosperous downtown to enrich the entire business community of West Union and beyond that embraces history, preserves natural environment, and promotes quality events that instills a sense of community pride.